Kathy Los-Rathburn KWS,WSI, IWS - Transparent Watercolor
• Illinois Watercolor Society Signature status 2018
• Watercolor Society of Indiana Signature status 1998
• Kentucky Watercolor Society Signature status 1994
The American Academy of Art, Chicago, Illinois
• American Academy of Art, Chicago
• South Shore Arts
• Purdue University, began teaching watercolor and drawing in her studio in 1974 till present
• Workshops at Chesterton Art Center and Griffith Senior Center
• Scarborough Faire, South Shores (NIAA), Valparaiso
• Art Academy & Gallery
• Vogt Visual Arts Center
• 18 Artists Gallery
• Purdue University
• Chesterton Art Gallery
• Art Barn, Valparaiso, IN
• Kentucky Watercolor Society
• Watercolor Society of Indiana
• Transparent Watercolor Society of America
• Hoosier Salon
• Illinois WaterColor Society
• Chesterton Art Association
• Illiana Artists
• Lacare Art League
• South Shore Arts
• Berrien Artist Guild
Private / Collections
NIPSCO, St. Margaret’s Hospital, Crown Point Court House, Griffith Town Hall, Southlake Mental Care Center, Crown Point Fire Station, T & M Equipment, US Steel, Griffith Savings Bank, Mercantile National Bank, People’s Bank, Southlake Mall Offices, Kinsella Landscaping, and many other private collections, …
My love for art and watercolor in particular, started when I was quite young. It has now become one of my passions. I love the challenges of the medium and the happy accidents that can become surprises.
Nature scenes are my favorite to paint, especially the dunes and how they are continually changing. When looking at a simple leaf or twig, there is so much beauty and it often goes unnoticed. I believe in experiencing what I paint so I take my own photo references.
Before beginning every painting, I do value sketches to plan my composition, to work with the contrasting values and colors and to play with negative spaces.
It is through my paintings that I am hoping to give to you all the beauty that is around us. All this beauty is ours for the taking … if only we’d open our eyes.
To paint is to admire nature-
To admire nature is to worship God!
– Kathleen Los-Rathburn
Visit my blog at: kathylosrathburn.blogspot.com
Click on images to enlarge
All images are ©Kathleen Los-Rathburn All rights reserved